Quick and Easy Fried Rice
5 minutes - 1 hour
15 Minutes - 1 Hour 10 Minutes
If you don’t have time or if you don’t want to put a lot of effort into cooking yourself dinner, I’ve got the right recipe for you. Fried rice is probably one of the easiest things to make (in my opinion). This recipe is written with modification in mind: adding your own special touch or incorporating more ingredients can be a very satisfying experience for anyone learning how to cook and finding their groove, but depending on what you have the effort you’ll put in may vary.
- 4 Eggs
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil (Important note: not all at once. Separate into 2tbsp each)
- Any amount of Frozen Veggie Mix (Carrot ,Corn ,Green Bean and Peas are my go-to mix)
- 2 Cups of White Rice
- Soy Sauce (Cold is best)
- Green Onion
- Brown Rice
- Vegetable Oil/Canola Oil/Avocado Oil
- Cooking the Rice
- If you have a rice cooker, cook about a cup of rice (this should yield two cups of cooked rice). This should take about thirty minutes and is nearly effortless. NOTE: Brown rice can take about an hour, so if you use this substitution be prepared to wait a little longer for your rice.
- If you don’t have a rice cooker but have some old unseasoned rice in the fridge, take it out and put it in your cooking space.
- If you don’t have a rice cooker, and have no pre-cooked rice, then take out a pot and put in two cups of water for every one cup of rice you cook. Bring the water to a boil. Add the rice once it’s boiling, and then allow the temperature to be a steady simmer. Keep a lid on it while it’s simmering and leave it alone. Because we’re using white rice, check on it after about 18-20 minutes. (For brown rice, check at 30 minutes). Any leftover water can be drained out into your sink. Put the pot back on the stove, turn off the heat, and leave it alone. After another 10 minutes, give it a fluff with a fork or a rice spatula. Voila!
- While your rice is in it’s last 5 minutes of cooking…
- If your rice was pre-cooked, worry less about the time element but follow the next steps anyway.
- Beat 3 of your 4 eggs in a bowl. Set aside
- In another bowl, put in as much frozen veggie mix as you think you could consume and put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes to defrost.
- If you’re going to use it, chop up some green onion and set aside.
- Pull out a frying pan and place it on the stove, put the heat on high
- Add in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Move your pan around to spread the oil and try to get an even coating around the pan.
- Place your beaten eggs into the pan and use a spatula to scramble them
- By this point, your rice should be done cooking (or if you took it out of the fridge, it’s ready to be used). Add it into the pan and stir around with your eggs. Be sure to break it apart and get rid of as many chunks as possible.
- Add in the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil and stir with the rice.
- Beat your last egg, set aside.
- Once the chunks are broken, add in your defrosted vegetables. Stir until they’re spread out around the rice.
- Add in your last egg on top of this mix and stir. Let it sit between stirrings to ensure it gets cooked.
- Bust out the soy sauce and add in some zig-zag motions add on top of the rice to your liking
- Turn off the heat and let the rice sit. Serve in two bowls (or one and save the rest for later) and add your green onion on top as a topping.