Recreating the Egg Salad Sandwich from Beastars
Whether you’re a longtime anime fan or just happened to be on Netflix back in March when the service started to exclusively stream it, you may recognize the buzz around Beastars; the anime series where teenage anthropomorphic animals live in an R-Rated, Japanese Zootopia society. The show itself is full of hilarious, bizarre, and very mature content, but fans of the show may remember the… interesting filler from Episode 7 that centered around a chicken named Legome and our protagonist’s favorite snack: Japanese Egg Salad Sandwiches (Tomago Sando).
Inspired by the show, I tried re-creating the sandwiches and the results were better than I could’ve expected! It’s a short, sweet easy recipe with a bit of my own twist that anyone can enjoy.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp Kewpie Mayonnaise (Japanese Mayonnaise)
- 4 Slices of Bread (I used Butter Bread, but traditionally Shokupan, or Japanese Pullman Bread, is used)
- 4 tbsp Butter
- Hot Sauce (to taste)
- Lime Juice (from one lime)
- Season All spice
- Place your eggs in a saucepan and cover them in water (there should be at least an inch of water above the eggs) and put it to boil and let them sit for about fifteen minutes
- While the eggs are boiling get your four bread slices and toast them until a golden-brown color. Once toasted, add about a tablespoon of butter to each slice and set them aside better-side up.
- Once your eggs are done, put them in an ice bath let them sit for about 5 minutes.
- Peel the shells off the bowl and move into a dry bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the hard-boiled eggs until they look like mashed potatoes.
- Mix in your salt, pepper, and sugar – more can be added to taste
- If you use it, mix in the all spice here to taste
- Add the tablespoon of milk and mix thoroughly
- Add the 2 tablespoons of Kewpie mayonnaise. The final consistency should be almost creamy
- Regular mayo can be used to substitute, but won’t taste quite the same
- If you desire, add in your hot sauce or lime juice here.
- Evenly split the egg salad onto two bread slices. Once done place the empty slices butter-side down on top of the egg and give it a light squeeze.
- Cut the crusts off the bread, split into two rectangles, and enjoy!