Quick Homemade Chicken Curry
This recipe, though not exactly like traditional Indian curries which require marination, is quicker to make, and suffices for a filling weekday dinner.
- Onions – 2 medium
- Tomatoes- 4
- Ginger Garlic Paste*
- Green chilies- 3-4
- Red chili Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Garam Masala***
- Kasoori Methi***
- Cut and cleaned chicken
- Cinnamon- ½ a stick
- Cardamom pods- 3
- Cloves- 3
*Cloves of ginger and cut garlic can be used as substitutes.
- Finely chop 2 onions
- Puree Tomatoes
- Cut Green Chilies
*Optional: While pureeing the tomatoes, you can mix a little chili powder in the blender. It lends the curry a nice, orange-red color.
- Warm a large non stick pan. Pour 2 ½ tablespoons of oil.
- Pop the cardamom pods and add them to the pan along with the cinnamon and cloves
- Add 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds.
- Add cut green chilies.
- After cooking for 2- 3 minutes on a low to medium flame, add chopped onions.
- Sauté Onions until light brown.
- Add 1 teaspoon red chili powder, 1 tablespoon coriander powder, and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree.
- Cover and cook until the mixture begins to sputter.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Add water (optional; to add a little volume to gravy).
- Once chicken is cooked, open lid and add Kasoori Methi.
- Add 1 teaspoon garam Masala, mix well.
- Plate and serve hot.
*** These are ingredients commonly found in Indian cuisine. You can find them at your nearest International cuisine store/ Indian store.