Eggcellentt Huevos Rancheros
We take this traditional breakfast dish into the 21st century with our friends from Happy Egg! This recipe is perfect for breakfast, a mid-morning snack, or even your late night cravings. Let us know when your favorite time to devours this scrumptious treat is!
Ingredients:For the Caliente Burger:
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cubed avocado
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 4 small white corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon lime juice, divided
- ½ chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon crumbled Cojita cheese
- Add the olive oil to a small saucepan. Add the diced onion and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce, chopped chipotle pepper, 1/4 teaspoon lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chili powder, and cumin.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender and add the remaining lime juice, honey, 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, and chicken broth. Season with salt to taste.
- Using a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, cut a hole in the middle of each tortilla. Melt a small amount of the butter in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Crack an egg in a small bowl and then gently slip it onto the middle of the tortilla so that the yolk fits in the hole. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the egg. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Carefully flip the tortilla over and cook for a few seconds. Transfer to a plate. Repeat the process with the remaining butter, tortillas and eggs.
- Serve each egg-in-a-tortilla with the ranchero sauce, cubed avocado, Cotija cheese, and remaining cilantro leaves.