This Matcha Swiss Roll With Lemon Cream Filling – light, fluffy and not too sweet. Green tea flavored sponge cake, filled with fresh and smooth lemon mascarpone whipped cream.
Matcha Swiss Roll
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp matcha
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
Lemon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
Matcha Swiss Roll
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Place a mesh sieve over the opening of a large mixing bowl. Sift the flour, cornstarch, matcha, and baking powder. Pour the sifted dry ingredients into another bowl and sift 2 more times.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into 2 separate bowls. Place the egg whites in the fridge.
- Add the egg yolks into a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Add ¼ cup of the sugar into the egg yolk mixture and whisk until it doubles in size.
- Add the egg whites into another mixing bowl. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy then gradually add the rest of the sugar while mixing.
- Beat until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Gently mix some of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until incorporated. Pour this mixture into the egg whites.
- Fold the mixture until incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients and milk and gently fold until incorporated.
- Line the bottom and sides of a sheet pan with parchment.
- Pour the batter into the sheet pan and spread evenly.
- Tap the sheet pan on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for around 10 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven.
- Carefully place another sheet tray over the cake and flip. The cake should come out of the other sheet pan.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper.
- Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the roll and carefully flip the sheet pan onto a flat surface.
- Gently roll the cake on the parchment paper. Transfer it to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- Add the heavy cream, sugar, and lemon juice into a chilled mixing bowl.
- Whisk the mixture until it forms soft peaks.
- Unroll the cake onto a flat working surface.
- Using an offset spatula, spread an even layer of lemon whipped cream onto the cake.
- Gently reroll the cake. Cover the roll with cling wrap and refrigerate for around 2 hours before serving.
- Remove the roll from the fridge and unwrap. Slice off the ends to reveal the beautiful swirls and serve!